Tempeh Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce
THIS PLANT-BASED VERSION OF SATAY WILL HAVE YOU COMING BACK FOR MORE!
These tempeh satays are full of fresh and aromatic flavors. We marinated the tempeh with herbs and spices such as lemongrass, coriander, cumin, and turmeric. The flavor is fresh and citrusy, which pairs perfectly with the peanut dipping sauce that is warm and a tad sweet.
When choosing your tempeh or tofu, look for one that is organic and non-GMO. Many soybeans are genetically modified and we want to avoid this.
I know tempeh might be harder to find outside of Asia, so feel free to sub the tempeh with firm tofu. Remember, you want your tofu to be organic and non-GMO as well.
- 300g / 11oz tempeh or tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes (always look for organic, non-GMO)
- 4-inch lemongrass stalk or zest of half a lemon
- 1 small red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2-inch piece ginger
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp Ri’s Coconut Aminos or tamari
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Ri's Red Chili Sauce (adjust according to heat preference)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 large date (about 15g / 0.5oz)
- Optional: bell pepper and onion chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1.5 large date (about 45g /1.5 oz)
- 1 tbsp Ri’s Coconut Aminos
- 1-inch piece ginger
- Salt to taste
- Add water as needed to thin
- Soak wooden skewers for 30 min
- Remove the tough part of the lemongrass stalk and chop up the remaining portion
- Add the chopped lemongrass along with the rest of the marinade ingredients to a small food processor/blender and grind to a paste. The marinade won't be completely smooth, it’s ok!
- In a bowl, marinate the tempeh cubes at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the fridge for up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Skewer the tempeh cubes, alternating with pepper and onion (if using).
- Lay the tempeh skewers onto a lined baking tray and spoon over the remaining marinade from the bowl.
- Bake the skewers for about 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, turn on the broiler and broil on the top shelf for about 5 minutes. Watch carefully.
- For the peanut dressing, blend all the ingredients together in a small food processor. Add water as needed to get the consistency you like, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.