Perfectly Roasted Garlic Potatoes
THESE POTATOES ARE SIMPLY PERFECT, SOFT ON THE INSIDE AND CRISPY ON THE OUTSIDE.
These babies are the perfect side dish for the holidays or a nice dinner anytime. You can't go wrong with roasted potatoes, it’s a definite crowd-pleaser.
Pro-tip: steam or boil the potatoes first before seasoning and roasting them. This leaves you with delectably soft potatoes that aren't dried out.
You want to make sure you don't skimp on the duck fat or ghee. This is what will give your potatoes that crispiness and beautiful golden color.
Finish them off with a good squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of herbs to brighten the flavor!
If you want to prep ahead of time, you can steam/boil these up to a week in advance and store them in the fridge for when you are ready to go. You may need to keep them in the oven a bit longer if you are using them straight out of the fridge.
- 500g /1lb baby potatoes, washed and cut as needed (if you use a larger variety, peel and chop into 2-inch pieces)
- 3 tbsp ghee or duck fat (heat lightly to bring to liquid form)
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Fresh herbs of choice (Eg. flat leaf parsley, chives, dill, or basil)
- Ri’s Sambal as a dip
- preheat your oven to 200C/400F.
- Ensure all your potatoes are the around the same size. I like cutting my baby potatoes in half as I like them all around 2" in size.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot fitted with a steamer insert and add your potatoes.
- Press the Manual or Pressure Cook button and program it cook for 5 minutes under high pressure. Lock the lid, and make sure the valve is on sealing.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, wait 10 minutes and then manually release the pressure.
- Once your pototoes are cool enough to handle. Toss them in a bowl with the cooking fat, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon zest.
- on a lined baking tray, spread your coated potatoes out so they are in a single layer.
- pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once done, squeeze the juice from half a lemon and toss with fresh herbs of choice.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F.
- If making these on the stovetop, cover your potatoes with water and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and allow them to dry/cool.
- Follow Step 6 onwards from above.